Stewardship & Giving
Stewardship is a loving response to our faith. It is a necessary expression of what we say and believe. It is a lifestyle that places God in the middle of our lives, living as God intended for us as Disciples and Stewards. Stewardship requires a conversion of faith and challenges the way we live. Living as a steward requires us to recognize and truly believe that all we have is a gift from God. In this spirit, all members of the Mary Queen of Peace faith community are called to use the gifts of time and talent and treasure to build the kingdom of God on earth, bringing the community closer to God and closer to one another as we worship together, educate and serve.
Stewardship and Giving
"As Christian stewards, we receive God's gifts gratefully, cultivate them responsibly, share them lovingly in justice with others, and return them with increase to the Lord."
~ United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
In the fall of 1994 the MQP Parish Council initiated a program of service and sharing within our Parish called Stewardship. It calls for the commitment of all Parishioners to share their time, talent and treasure toward the support of the Parish and the good of its Parish Family. It is a commitment that stresses our gratitude for the blessings that have been bestowed upon us.
Time Talent and Treasure
The program is kicked off annually with a series of informational materials and pulpit talks given by the Priests and Parishioners at Sunday Masses. It culminates in a "Festival of Ministries" sponsored by the Parish Organizations which provides Parishioners the opportunity to see first-hand the functions and activities of each group with the intent of helping each Parishioner decide where they might best offer their time and talent. Intention cards are provided for each Parishioner to offer everyone the chance to re-evaluate their commitment of time, talent, and treasure to the Parish and its Organizations.
We become involved where and when we can by assisting with liturgical ministries, Christian service, Christian formation and fellowship opportunities within our faith community. There are numerous opportunities within each of these areas for parishioners to become involved.
Talents are given to each of us in abundance. Talents are given for the benefit of the community and enable the community to fulfill its mission of building the kingdom of God. Through our many parish ministries, we share our talents of serving and helping, hospitality, music, prayer, teaching, administration and organization.
"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house. And TRY ME IN THIS, says the Lord of Hosts: Shall I not open for you the floodgates of heaven, to pour down blessing upon you without measure" (Malachi 3:10).
Financial support of the Lord's work at Mary Queen of Peace provides each Parish family member with a wonderful opportunity to give thanks to God for His many blessings. It is also an integral part of our Stewardship Program. The Stewardship Intention Card is a confidential tool by which each Parishioner can make a yearly financial commitment while allowing the Parish to plan and budget for the upcoming year. Returning your Intention Card is a sign of your participation and commitment to the Parish Family.
Both the Scriptures and our Church leaders, especially Archbishop Carlson, encourages us to consider the practice of tithing. Tithing involves giving 10% of our income to the Lord. We might suggest 5% to your Parish and 5% to other appeals. Be generous with the Lord and God will not be outdone in His generosity in return.
We share our treasure through participation in Sunday offertory giving.
- In thanksgiving to the Lord, we return a portion of everything he has given us;
- Our gift should be planned and proportionate (5%) of our income;
- Our gift should be out of the first fruits of our labor - not our last, don’t give God the “leftovers”;
- Our gift should entail a sacrifice.
Giving a planned percentage of our income ensures a consistent way of providing support of our faith community. Sacrificial giving is based on our need to give, as Jesus taught, in response to all that we have been given from our Heavenly Father.
We also encourage our parishioners to take advantage of the matching gift programs sponsored by many employers and the opportunity to make payments on their pledge throughout the year rather than pay at a single time.
Other Giving Opportunities
In addition to participation in weekly offertory giving, there are other opportunities for parishioners to contribute and support the faith community of Mary Queen of Peace.
- Special Collections: Period Periodically throughout the year the Archdiocese of St. Louis schedules special collections which are to be observed in all Parishes. These collections aid various special needs (locally, nationally, and internationally) which the Church feels should concern all Catholics. These appeals ask our Parish to give witness by our offerings, of our love for and support of the people of God outside the Parish.
- Archdiocesan Annual Catholic Appeal (ACA): Conducted each year in April by the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Your support of those who are served by the ACA helps:
- Bring Christ alive in Catholic education
- Give hope to a mother considering an abortion
- Reach the homeless and the hungry
- Support our priests who have served us for a lifetime
- Provide parishes and schools with resources to
- Help teachers and students
- St. Vincent de Paul Society: Each year at the Thanksgiving Day Masses, the collection goes to the St. Vincent de Paul Society for their use in helping the poor of our Parish and the larger Community as well as the St. Vincent de Paul Society at Our Lady of Guadalupe.
- The MQP Endowment Fund provides for the upkeep and improvement of our parish property and provides for the long-term stability and enhancement of the educational purposes of the Parish.
- Planned giving opportunities are available through wills, trusts, annuities and gifts of property.
- The Compassion in Action Fund is designed to meet the special financial needs of parishioners of the Mary Queen of Peace faith community in collaboration with the St. Vincent de Paul Society. Every Parish organization and event gives 5% to support the fund. It is also supported by private donations.
- The Scholarship Fund is used for MQP families who need tuition assistance.